Pages

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Apologies for the lack of posts on teaching methods!

I've looked through my entire blog and realised I haven't given any insight into the kinds of academic teachings and resources I've been looking at and that I've been blogging mostly about my design/illustration approach. This is not all I have been doing/researching, but rather using this blog as a reflection of my designs and sessions and that only.

I have been looking at a lot of teaching resources and methods. I have also just bought and received a copy of Learning To Teach In The Primary School which provides a good insight into different teaching techniques and approaches to learning.

I also found a great PDF online a few weeks back by UCL Museums and Collections Outreach. One of the most useful things I took from this PDF on teaching was the importance of delivery in terms of the subject being taught. It gives awareness that children respond better if they are in an interactive environment where they can contribute to a class discussion rather than being fed information from a script-type talk. This PDF includes responses from teachers, children and parents of the way in which UCL learning techniques have boosted their child’s knowledge, real life skills such as communication and organisation and overall having a much more positive vibe about the topic being taught. UCL expresses how the child should be made to feel passionate about what they are learning about and that’s why the delivery of a classroom session is so important. UCL quotes “enthusiasm is infectious,” and they believe that there should be a natural flow from a class tutor that engages with the children whilst teaching and inviting them to ask questions instead of reeling them off facts, which children are not likely to remember. Since I will be the one delivering this to the children in the Spring I’ve taken this particular aspect into consideration on a particular part of my session, which originally started off as information on a worksheet. Since then I’ve switched idea and I’ve decided to do a PowerPoint presentation instead where I can engage and interact with the children whilst I talk. The key is to get them learning, but to deliver facts in a fun way so that it becomes more creative than academic.

This proved to be a very important read, especially since I decided to approach the ways of learning in a more interactive and engaging way than just handing out worksheets.

Something else that has been of value is this website ... Primary Resources  which has an incredible amount of worksheet examples and presentation examples to cater for many subjects - among them, History.





This is one of my favourites I came across because it combines, real facts, a challenge and it's open for class discussion. I think the fact that it is humorous makes it even more appealing and fun.

This is an example of the kind of thing UCL talk about in their PDF because it allows the children to engage much more. I like the way children can interact with an adapted version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire instead of a ‘quiz’ or a ‘test,’ which some find daunting. I think this way of learning is a much better approach. I feel as if the kids are having fun, they are more likely to learn something and remember it afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment